Lessons Learned from the victims/children of Sandusky
Day One-Victim #4
Type of Predator
- Often Married
- Often Highly Prestigious Profession
- Often Appearing Generous, Caring, Thoughtful, Solicitous of Family and Child
- Grooms parent to have access to child
Type of Victim
- At risk background
- Single Family household
- Foster child-previous abuse
- Needing Attention
Type of Predatory Behavior
- lavishes gifts and attention on child
- taking child alone
- taking child on trips
- taking a child on a sleepover
- taking child on trips outside of state
- lavishes praise on child and parent
Why the victims don’t talk!
- Boy victims seldom talk because of shame and humiliation
- Fear that the gifts and attention will stop
- Fear that no one will believe them
- Fear that they were complicit in the abuse (Predators tell them)
- FEAR -threatened by predators not to talk
- Fear that they should not break “the contract” with Jerry Sandusky
- Psychologically and physically controlled by predator
CHILDREN RARELY DISCLOSE ABUSE. Children will often deny abuse.
*Allegations and testimony from victims of Jerry Sandusky during the June 11, 2012 trial. Jerry Sandusky is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a jury of his peers.
© Elizabeth Yore-2012 All Rights Reserved.
Elizabeth Yore is the former Special Counsel at Harpo, Inc.where she served as Oprah Winfrey’s Child Advocate. She is also the former General Counsel at the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.